Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bran Muffins with Golden Raisins

Who doesn't love a great homemade breakfast?  But, really, who has time?  Here's a great make-a-head (or make anytime) breakfast idea for you!  Our family loves these tender, sweet and hearty muffins in the fall.  The best part is that it makes a huge batch.  I mix them up and store them in the refridgerator for up several weeks.  It's so nice to be able to have warm homemade muffins in a short time with only a little bit of work.
I always get all of my ingredients out before I start a baking.  This acheives two things: 1. I make sure I have everything that I need before I get half way through a recipe and realize I'm out of eggs.  And 2. I put the ingredeints away as I use them which makes for less clean up time!

First, crack four eggs into a LARGE bowl.  This is a big recipe, I use a 24 cup stainless steel mixing bowl.  Add 3 cups of white sugar, 5 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of salt. Mix well.


Stir in1 cup of vegetable oil, then 1 quart of buttermilk.

Add 5 cups of flour.

The batter will be lumpy after you add the flour.

Crush a box of bran flakes and stir them in.  The recipe calls for 5 1/2 cups.  I used a 17.3oz bag, try to use a box that is about the same size; a litte more or a little less won't hurt.


Here's the good part!  Golden raisins; two cups.  My mom always made this recipe with regular raisins.  When I was a kid I would eat the muffin and pick out the raisins.  I've grown up a little since then and can tolerate raisins but, when my sister-in-law made my mom's recipe with golden raisins a few years ago at Christmas time I knew these muffins would never be the same...


Set the oven to 375 degrees and fill  regular sized muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake for 20-22 minutes.

Of course they are best served warm with lots of butter ;)

 

Bran Muffins with Golden Raisins

4 eggs
3 cups sugar
5 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 qt buttermilk
5 cups flour
5 1/2 cups bran flakes, crushed
2 cups golden raisins

Combine eggs, sugar, soda and salt.  Mix in oil.  Add buttermilk.  Sitr in flour, batter may be lumpy.  Crush 17.3 oz box of bran flakes and add to batter.  Stir in raisins.  To bake fresh muffins allow the batter to set for about 30 minutes so the bran flakes absorb some of the liquid.  Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes in a 375* oven.  Store muffin batter in an air tight container in the refridgerater for up to four weeks.

1 comment:

Amazon