Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Kale Chips


This year on a whim I decided to grow some kale in our garden.  It's done awesome and it really is a beautiful plant; I can see why some people use it for decoration.  Not only is it beautiful, it's healthy too!  I have to admit that only recently have I started eating kale.  I can remember when kale was simply used for salad bar and plate decoration in restaurants.  One of my friends used to wait tables and we all laughed when she told us about a customer she had who asked for more kale; the poor lady was eating the garnish!  Well, today I choose to eat the garnish too! ;)


About a year ago my mom's family put together a cookbook and my cousin Anna submitted the recipe for Kale Chips (its on page 55).  Anna says, "Kale chips are delicious with just oil and salt, but I sometimes add other seasonings to spice t up.  And kale, while so flavorful, is a super-food; it is packed with carotenoids and flavonoids that fight against cancer, is an anti-inflammatory, promotes cardiovascular health, strengthens bones, boosts immunity, and lowers blood pressure."  So with all those good things going on in one little plant I thought I'd give the recipe a try!
Take a bunch of kale leaves from the garden (or the produce section at the grocery store) wash them up and let them dry completely.  If they're not all the way dry they won't get as crispy and delicious.  Cut the vein out of the kale and chop it into bite sized pieces.

Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray and place the kale leaves on the sheet evenly.  Spray the top of the kale with an even coat of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Bake at 350* for 12 minutes.  The kale will be dark green, the edges lightly brown and crunchy.  Allow to cool and enjoy.

I was very impressed by how crunchy the kale chips turned out!  They are also light and just melt in your mouth.  Kale chips are definitely worth a try - I also like them with seasoning salt.

**Leave a Comment**
Have you tried kale chips yet?  What is your favorite seasoning?

Kale Chips
1 bunch fresh kale leaves, washed and dried
spray olive oil
coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray baking sheet with olive oil spray.  Cut or tear kale into bite-sized pieces.  Lay kale in a single layer on baking sheet.  Coat evenly with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 12 minutes or until dark green and crunchy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon